UK economic growth hits a six-month low and European Central Bank launches new stimulus
- Latest: Lagarde says herd immunity by end 2021
- ECB expands and extends PEPP
- ECB also offers more cheap loans for banks
- UK recovery burns out, warns Capital Economics
- BREAKING: UK grew by 0.4% in October as services slowed sharply
- ONS: Covid-19 restrictions hit economy
- Pound falls amid Brexit deadlock
Christine Lagarde says inflation is ‘disappointingly low’
It’s partly due to weak energy costs and the temporary VAT cut in Germany, but also caused by weak demand, lower wages, and the exchange rate appreciation.
Q: When will the ECB decide the pandemic is over?
Christine Lagarde repeats the ECB has good reasons to believe the eurozone will have reached herd immunity against Covid-19 by the end of 2021.